Spend Money Like It’s 1999

Goods costing $100 in 1999 would cost $135 today according to the Consumer Price Index

I can see where gas is coming down in price, but not nearly as quickly as it went up. That’s just messed up. Unlike gas prices, when grocery store prices go up they never come back down. Hang onto your checkbook and let the Greek girl take you on a shopping trip down memory lane  – circa 1999.

  • In 1999 the average cost of a gallon of gas was $1.22
  • Average Cost of new house $131,750.00
  • Average Income per year $40,810.00
  • Average Monthly Rent $645.00
  • Average cost of new car $21,050.00
  • US Postage Stamp 33 cents
  • 1 LB of Bacon $2.59
  • Ground Coffee per LB $3.41
  • Loaf of Bread $1.49
  • Dozen Eggs 89 cents
  • Gold was $290 an ounce
  • Silver was $5.50 an ounce
  • Sony Discman  $69.00 (iPods didn’t come out until 2001)
  • 2 litre bottle of Pepsi  69 cents
  • RCA VCR $99.99 (DVD players were just barely coming out)
  • Asparagus  $2.49/lb
  • New Balance Sneakers   $77.99 pair
  • 2 lb bag of fresh carrots 98 cents

I know the economy is tough when my manager Mr. Bricks also starts pinching pennies. In 1999 a McRib Value meal would set Mr. Bricks back only $2.99.   In some circles (read as in some coffee shops and diners) Mr. Bricks has the nickname of Mr. Big because when not eating McRibs at McDonalds he often tipped well north of 20% when enjoying a meal at a coffee shop or diner. If the waitress laughs at his jokes the tip can be well north of 30% and if the waitress flatters him, ie (have you lost weight? I hardly recognized you Mr. Bricks…or did they fix your eye? It doesn’t look as droopy today!) then she could get a 40% tip. Word.

Blessings,

Ava

xox

PS: For all of my Greek friends you will remember that 1999 was a sad year because a powerful, magnitude 5.9 earthquake hit Athens, killing 143 people

Advertisements

About Ava Aston's Muckery

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. My name is Ava Aston and I am a recording artist and actress. I'm just an ordinary girl who acts, sings, writes songs and now writes this blog. I hope you enjoy my blogging enough to want to subscribe. Blessings, Ava If you want to learn even more about me, check out my website at www.avaaston.com
This entry was posted in Ava Aston, Blonde, Greek, Mr. Bricks and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Spend Money Like It’s 1999

  1. Your statistics were a wake-up call–great research, if not a tad depressing. If the 1% holding the lion’s share of the wealth in this nation lived for one day the way the other 99% lived, I wonder if they’d be willing to at least pay their fair share of taxes? Great food-for-thought post, especially for those who can’t afford real food!

  2. frizztext says:

    worse in Greece …

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s